- Gets it’s name from it’s thick blunt spines that resemble old-fashioned pencils;
- Has thick, blunt, round spines;
- Lives on intertidal rocky shores and in coastal water to a depth of 80m;
- Are found along the east coast of Australia, including New South Wales;
- Is a herbivore;
- Comes out to feed at night;
- The mouth is on the underside of it’s body and is equipped with five sharp teeth used to scrape algae from the rocks; and
- Uses it’s spines to wedge firmly into holes and crevices during the day.